[openstack-dev] [Nova] Mid-cycle sprint for remote people ?

Andrew Laski andrew.laski at rackspace.com
Wed Jul 2 12:51:14 UTC 2014

On 07/02/2014 06:09 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Sylvain Bauza wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I won't be able to attend the mid-cycle sprint due to a good family
>> reason (a new baby 2.0 release expected to land by these dates), so I'm
>> wondering if it's possible to webcast some of the sessions so people who
>> are not there can still share their voices ?
> It's the same issues we have with remote participation to design summit
> sessions. It's possible to arrange a specific person (or set of persons)
> to attend a specific session (via some combination of tools). It's
> impossible to let everyone attend everything without significantly
> impacting the quality of the in-person discussion.

As a remote participant at the last mid-cycle meeting I'm going to agree
with this.  I successfully participated in a few topics and otherwise
just tried to listen in to what was being discussed. Getting involved
with most discussions was difficult because although the audio was quite
good for a remote setup there were two challenges.  I couldn't catch
everything that was said and was likely to mention something that had
already been discussed, which regressed the conversation.  And because
one participant in the call is a room and not someone close to a
microphone you end up having to treat it like a half-duplex connection
which significantly slows down discussion.

So while I enjoyed listening in and am very thankful for the opportunity
to have done so, it is not at all a substitute for being there.