[openstack-dev] Swift: reason for using xfs on devices

Pete Zaitcev zaitcev at redhat.com
Wed Jul 2 04:06:04 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2 Jul 2014 00:16:42 +0000
"Osanai, Hisashi" <osanai.hisashi at jp.fujitsu.com> wrote:

> So I think if performance of swift is more important rather than scalability of it, it is a
> good idea to use ext4.

The real problem is what happens when your drives corrupt the data.
Both ext4 and XFS demonstrated good resilience, but XFS leaves empty
files in directories where corrupt files were, while ext4's fsck moves
them to lost+found without a trace. When that happens, Swift's auditors
cannot know that something was amiss and the replication is not
triggered (because hash lists are only updated by auditors).

Mr. You Yamagata worked on a patch to address this problem, but did
not complete it. See here:
 https://review.openstack.org/11452

-- Pete