[openstack-dev] Using tmux instead of screen in devstack

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Tue Jul 1 12:28:08 UTC 2014

On 07/01/2014 08:11 AM, Anant Patil wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use tmux (an alternative to screen) a lot and I believe lot of other
> developers use it. I have been using devstack for some time now and
> would like to add the option of using tmux instead of screen for
> creating sessions for openstack services. I couldn't find a way to do
> that in current implementation of devstack.
>
> I have submitted an initial blueprint here:
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/devstack/+spec/enable-tmux-option-for-screen
>
> Any comments are welcome! It will be helpful if someone can review it
> and provide comments.

Honestly, making this optional isn't really interesting. It's just code
complexity for very little benefit. Especially when you look into the
service stop functions.

If you could do a full replacement of *all* existing functionality used
in screen with tmux, that might be. Screen -X stuff has some interesting
failure modes on loaded environments, and I'd be in favor of switching
to something else that didn't. However in looking through tmux man page,
I'm not sure I see the equivalents to the logfile stanzas.

I'd like the blueprint to address all the screen calls throughout the
codebase before acking on whether or not we'd accept such a thing.
Because the screen use is more complex than you might realize.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net