[openstack-dev] [Heat] About LaunchConfiguration and Autoscaling

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Fri Jan 31 03:45:19 UTC 2014

On 30/01/14 12:20, Randall Burt wrote:
> On Jan 30, 2014, at 12:09 PM, Clint Byrum<clint at fewbar.com>
>   wrote:

>> >I would hope we would solve that at a deeper level, rather than making
>> >resources for the things we think will need re-use. I think nested stacks
>> >allow this level of re-use already anyway. Software config just allows
>> >sub-resource composition.
> Agreed. Codifying re-use inside specific resource types is a game of catch-up I don't think we can win in the end.

Thomas started this discussion talking about resources, but IMHO it's
mostly really about the scaling API. It just happens that we're
implementing the resources first and they need to match what we
eventually decide the API should look like.

So we're creating a new API. That doesn't happen very often. It's
absolutely appropriate to consider whether we want two classes of
resources in that API to have a 1:1 or 1:Many relationship, regardless
of how many fancy transclusion things we have in the templates. For a
start because one of the main reasons to create an API is so people can
access it without templates.

cheers,
Zane.