[openstack-dev] [Nova][Neutron] nova-network in Icehouse and beyond

Christopher Yeoh cbkyeoh at gmail.com
Fri Jan 31 02:43:48 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 3:21 AM, Dan Smith <dms at danplanet.com> wrote:

> > If necessary the tasks work could be done solely as an extension, but I
> > would really prefer to avoid that so I'll get this ball rolling quickly.
>
> I agree that doing it as a bolt-on to v3 would be significantly less
> favorable than making it an integrated feature of the API. IMHO, if a
> server create operation doesn't return a task, then we failed, as that
> is (to me) one of the primary cases where a task object is important.

So the server create operation currently has a flag to say whether to
return a bunch of information
about the server being created (although we don't yet know if it will
succeed), OR return
a reservation_id which can then be used as a filter for getting information
about a server.

If we made this reservation_id just happen to be the same as the task id
handle returned then I think this
would be a pretty clean change (I don't know how this fits into the current
design?). The existing
reservation_id is a bit tasky-looking already.

Chris