[openstack-dev] [TripleO] [Ironic] Roadmap towards heterogenous hardware support

Devananda van der Veen devananda.vdv at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 17:54:06 UTC 2014

As far as nova-scheduler and Ironic go, I believe this is a solved problem.
Steps are:
- enroll hardware with proper specs (CPU, RAM, disk, etc)
- create flavors based on hardware specs
- scheduler filter matches requests exactly

There are, I suspect, three areas where this would fall short today:
- exposing to the user when certain flavors shouldn't be picked, because
there is no more hardware available which could match it
- ensuring that hardware is enrolled with the proper specs //
trouble-shooting when it is not
- a UI that does these well

If I understand your proposal correctly, you're suggesting that we
introduce non-deterministic behavior. If the scheduler filter falls back to
>$flavor when $flavor is not available, even if the search is in ascending
order and upper-bounded by some percentage, the user is still likely to get
something other than what they requested. From a utilization and
inventory-management standpoint, this would be a headache, and from a user
standpoint, it would be awkward. Also, your proposal is only addressing the
case where hardware variance is small; it doesn't include a solution for
deployments with substantially different hardware.

I don't think introducing a non-deterministic hack when the underlying
services already work, just to provide a temporary UI solution, is
appropriate. But that's just my opinion.

Here's an alternate proposal to support same-arch but different
cpu/ram/disk hardware environments:
- keep the scheduler filter doing an exact match
- have the UI only allow the user to define one flavor, and have that be
the lowest common denominator of available hardware
- assign that flavor's properties to all nodes -- basically lie about the
hardware specs when enrolling them
- inform the user that, if they have heterogeneous hardware, they will get
randomly chosen nodes from their pool, and that scheduling on heterogeneous
hardware will be added in a future UI release

This will allow folks who are using TripleO at the commandline to take
advantage of their heterogeneous hardware, instead of crippling
already-existing functionality, while also allowing users who have slightly
(or wildly) different hardware specs to still use the UI.

Regards,
Devananda