[openstack-dev] [Nova][Scheduler] Policy Based Scheduler and Solver Scheduler

Gil Rapaport GILR at il.ibm.com
Thu Jan 30 15:14:31 UTC 2014

Hi all,

Excellent definition of the issue at hand.
The recent blueprints of policy-based-scheduler and solver-scheduler
indeed highlight a possible weakness in the current design, as despite
their completely independent contributions (i.e. which filters to apply
per request vs. how to compute a valid placement) their implementation as
drivers makes combining them non-trivial.

As Alex Glikson hinted a couple of weekly meetings ago, our approach to
this is to think of the driver's work as split between two entities:
-- A Placement Advisor, that constructs placement problems for scheduling
requests (filter-scheduler and policy-based-scheduler)
-- A Placement Engine, that solves placement problems (HostManager in
get_filtered_hosts() and solver-scheduler with its LP engine).

Such modularity should allow developing independent mechanisms that can be
combined seamlessly through a unified & well-defined protocol based on
constructing "placement problem" objects by the placement advisor and then
passing them to the placement engine, which returns the solution. The
protocol can be orchestrated by the scheduler manager.

As can be seen at this point already, the policy-based-scheduler blueprint
can now be positioned as an improvement of the placement advisor.
Similarly, the solver-scheduler blueprint can be positioned as an
improvement of the placement engine.

I'm working on a wiki page that will get into the details.
Would appreciate your initial thoughts on this approach.

Regards,
Gil