[openstack-dev] [Nova][Neutron] nova-network in Icehouse and beyond

Christopher Yeoh cbkyeoh at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 13:10:48 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 2:08 PM, Michael Still <mikal at stillhq.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 2:29 PM, Christopher Yeoh <cbkyeoh at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > So if nova-network doesn't go away this has implications for the V3 API
> as
> > it currently doesn't support
> > nova-network. I'm not sure that we have time to add support for it in
> > icehouse now, but if nova-network is
> > not going to go away then we need to add it to the V3 API or we will be
> > unable to ever deprecate the
> > V2 API.
> Is the problem here getting the code written, or getting it through
> reviews? i.e. How can I re-prioritise work to help you here?
So I think its a combination of both. There's probably around 10 extensions
from V2 that would need looking at to port from V2. There's some cases
where the API supported both nova network and neutron, proxying in the
latter case and others where only nova network was supported. So we'll need
to make a decision pretty quickly around whether we present a unified
networking interface (eg proxy for neutron) or have some interfaces which
you only use when you use nova-network. There's a bit of work either way.
Also given how long we'll have V3 for want to take the opportunity to
cleanup the APIs we do port. And feature proposal deadline is now less than
3 weeks away so combined with the already existing work we have for i-3 it
is going to be a little tight.

The other issue is we have probably at least 50 or so V3 API related
changesets in the queue at the moment, plus obviously more coming over the
next few weeks. So I'm a bit a wary of how much extra review attention we
can realistically expect.

The two problems together make me think that although its not impossible,
there's a reasonable level of risk that we wouldn't get it all done AND
merged in i-3. And I think we want to avoid the situation where we have
some of the things currently in the queue merged and some of say the
nova-network patches done, but not complete with either. More people
contributing patches and core review cycles will of course help though so
any help is welcome :-)

This is all dependent on nova-network never going away. If the intent is
that it would eventually be deprecated - say in the same timeframe as the
V2 API then I don't think its worth the extra effort/risk putting it in the
V3 API in icehouse.


-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/attachments/20140130/fd82b361/attachment.html>

More information about the OpenStack-dev mailing list