[openstack-dev] [Nova][Neutron] nova-network in Icehouse and beyond

Dan Smith dms at danplanet.com
Wed Jan 29 18:45:08 UTC 2014

> I was thinking for the upgrade process that we could leverage the port
> attach/detach BP done by Dan Smith a while ago. This has libvirt support
> and there are patches pending approval for Xen and Vmware. Not sure about
> the other drivers.
>
> If the guest can deal with the fact that the nova port is being removed
> and a new logical port is added then we may have the chance of no down
> time. If this works then we may need to add support for nova-network port
> detach and we may have a seamless upgrade path.

That's a good thought for sure. However, it would be much better if we
could avoid literally detaching the VIF from the guest and instead just
swap where the other end is plugged into. With virtual infrastructure,
that should be pretty easy to do, unless you're switching actual L2
networks. If you're doing the latter, however, you might as well reboot
the guest I think.

--Dan