[openstack-dev] [Nova][Neutron] nova-network in Icehouse and beyond

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Wed Jan 29 18:04:29 UTC 2014

> I was thinking of an upgrade path more akin to what users got when we
> removed the nova volume driver, in favour of cinder.
>
>   https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/MigrateToCinder
>
> ie no guest visible downtime / interuption of service, nor running of
> multiple Nova instances in parallel.

Yeah, I'd love to see something like that.  I would really like to see
more effort in this area.  I honestly haven't been thinking about it
much in a while personally, because the rest of the "make it work" gaps
have still been a work in progress.

There's a bit of a bigger set of questions here, too ...

Should nova-network *ever* go away?  Or will there always just be a
choice between the basic/legacy nova-network option, and the new fancy
SDN-enabling Neutron option?  Is the Neutron team's time better spent on
OpenDaylight integration than the existing open source plugins?

Depending on the answers to those questions, the non-visible no-downtime
migration path may be a less important issue.

--
Russell Bryant