[openstack-dev] Neutron: Seeking suggestions about vendor service driver persisting info...

Paul Michali pcm at cisco.com
Mon Jan 27 20:37:45 UTC 2014

Hi,

I'm working on a vendor driver for VPNaaS. The device I'm using has different 'id' requirements for some of the resources related to VPN. For example, the IPSec policy information can be identified by an ID up to 31 characters long, whereas with OpenStack the ID will be a 36 character UUID.

So, my plans were to generate unique IDs for items like this, and then persist them, with a mapping to the UUID. Questions…

Should I do this generation/mapping/persisting in the service driver (plugin side) and then pass the generated ID down to the device driver (agent side), or should this all be done in the device driver?

I was thinking the latter, as it would allow other devices, which may had different requirements to be handled in the device driver. On the other hand, I didn't know if there is any precedence to doing these actions (especially persisting) in the service driver.

I take it I would I create a new vendor specific VPN database to hold this information?

Can anyone point me to examples of where this is done for service plugins? It would be nice to see some other examples as a reference, as I haven't done this before in OpenStack.

Thanks in advance!

PCM (Paul Michali)

MAIL          pcm at cisco.com
IRC            pcm_  (irc.freenode.net)
TW            @pmichali
GPG key    4525ECC253E31A83
Fingerprint 307A 96BB 1A4C D2C7 931D 8D2D 4525 ECC2 53E3 1A83