[openstack-dev] [oslo] log message translations

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Mon Jan 27 18:51:42 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 01:12:19PM -0500, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 12:58 PM, Daniel P. Berrange <berrange at redhat.com>wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 12:42:28PM -0500, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> > > We have a blueprint open for separating translated log messages into
> > > different domains so the translation team can prioritize them differently
> > > (focusing on errors and warnings before debug messages, for example) [1].
> >
> > > Feedback?
> >
> > > [1]
> > >
> > https://blueprints.launchpad.net/oslo/+spec/log-messages-translation-domain
> >
> > IMHO we've created ourselves a problem we don't need to have in the first
> > place by trying to translate every single log message. It causes pain for
> > developers & vendors because debug logs from users can in any language
> > which the person receiving will often not be able to understand. It creates
> > pain for translators by giving them an insane amount of work todo, which
> > never ends since log message text is changed so often. Now we're creating
> > yet more pain & complexity by trying to produce multiple log domains to
> > solve
> > a problem of havin some many msgs to translate. I accept that some people
> > will
> > like translated log messages, but I don't think this is a net win when you
> > look at the overall burden they're imposing.
> >
> > Shouldn't we just say no to this burden and remove translation of all log
> > messages, except for those at WARN/ERROR level which is likely to be seen
> > by administrators in a day-to-day basis. There's few enough of those that
> > we wouldn't need these extra translation domains. IMHO translating stuff
> > at DEBUG/INFO level is a waste of limited time & resources.
> >

> Thanks for raising this point, I meant to address it in my original email.
>
> Many deployers do in fact want to see the log messages in their native
> language, either instead of or in addition to English. This change is an
> attempt to accommodate them, while allowing other folks that don't care to
> continue to not care.

The implication of splitting the log messages into a separate translation
domain is that translators will then prioritize translation of text from
API error messages. IOW this split into translation domains will quite
likely mean that translators just ignore translation of the ever changing
log messages entirely. So even if deployers want translated log messages
they may well find they don't get them. Which again leads me to question
the whether the burden of this is justified.

Regards,
Daniel