[openstack-dev] [oslo] log message translations

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Mon Jan 27 17:58:20 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 12:42:28PM -0500, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> We have a blueprint open for separating translated log messages into
> different domains so the translation team can prioritize them differently
> (focusing on errors and warnings before debug messages, for example) [1].

> Feedback?

> [1]
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/oslo/+spec/log-messages-translation-domain

IMHO we've created ourselves a problem we don't need to have in the first
place by trying to translate every single log message. It causes pain for
developers & vendors because debug logs from users can in any language
which the person receiving will often not be able to understand. It creates
pain for translators by giving them an insane amount of work todo, which
never ends since log message text is changed so often. Now we're creating
yet more pain & complexity by trying to produce multiple log domains to solve
a problem of havin some many msgs to translate. I accept that some people will
like translated log messages, but I don't think this is a net win when you
look at the overall burden they're imposing.

Shouldn't we just say no to this burden and remove translation of all log
messages, except for those at WARN/ERROR level which is likely to be seen
by administrators in a day-to-day basis. There's few enough of those that
we wouldn't need these extra translation domains. IMHO translating stuff
at DEBUG/INFO level is a waste of limited time & resources.

Regards,
Daniel