[openstack-dev] [Ironic] Node groups and multi-node operations

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Sun Jan 26 20:20:42 UTC 2014

On 27 January 2014 08:04, Joshua Harlow <harlowja at yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
> Doesn't nova already have logic for creating N virtual machines (similar to a group) in the same request? I thought it did (maybe it doesn't anymore in the v3 API), creating N bare metal machines seems like it would comply to that api?

It does, but it splits it into N concurrent single server requests so
that they get spread out amongst different nova-compute processes -
getting you parallelisation: and the code for single server requests
is sufficiently complex that having a rarely used path that preserves
the batch seems undesirable to me.

Besides which, as Ironic also dispatches work to many different
backend workers, sending a batch to Ironic would just result in it
having to split it out as well.

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>