[openstack-dev] [Ironic] Node groups and multi-node operations

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Sat Jan 25 02:53:53 UTC 2014

On 23 Jan 2014 13:45, "Devananda van der Veen" <devananda.vdv at gmail.com>
wrote:

> So, a conversation came again up today around whether or not Ironic will,
in the future, support operations on groups of nodes. Some folks have
expressed a desire for Ironic to expose operations on groups of nodes;
others want Ironic to host the hardware-grouping data so that eg. Heat and
Tuskar can make more intelligent group-aware decisions or represent the
groups in a UI. Neither of these have an implementation in Ironic today...
and we still need to implement a host of other things before we start on
this. FWIW, this discussion is meant to stimulate thinking ahead to things
we might address in Juno, and aligning development along the way.

So I'm pretty thoroughly against this at this point in time. The rest of
OpenStack has a single item at a time coding style ... Booting multiple
instances is quickly transformed into n single instance boots.

I think clear  identification of services we need can take care of sharing
workloads within ironic effectively. E.g. teach glance to multicast images
and the story for doing many identical deploys at once becomes super simple.