[openstack-dev] [Nova] Why Nova should fail to boot if there are only one private network and one public network ?

Sylvain Bauza sylvain.bauza at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 20:53:46 UTC 2014

Hi Phil,

2014/1/24 Day, Phil <philip.day at hp.com>

> So I can see that option [1] would make the validation work by
> (presumably) not including the shared network in the list of networks,  but
> looking further into the code allocate_for_instance() uses the same call to
> decide which networks it needs to create ports for, and from what I can see
> it would attach the instance to both networks.
>

> https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/nova/network/neutronv2/api.py#L244

That's exactly the reason I think it's necessary to add the parameter
'shared' with a default value set to True, so any unidentified call would
still get the same behaviour without modifying the call itself. On that
case, I just need to amend the call placed in validate_networks().

 However that feels like the same problem that the patch was originally
> trying to fix, in that the network order isn’t controlled by the user, and
> many Guest OS’s will only configure the first NIC they are presented with.
> The idea was that in this case the user needs to explicitly specify the
> networks in the order that they want them to be attached to.
>

> Am I still missing something ?

The main question is : should we allocate a port bound to a public network
? My first opinion is no, but I'm not an expert.
I'll propose a patch for the change, let's discuss it on the review itself.

Thanks,
-Sylvain