[openstack-dev] MariaDB support

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Fri Jan 24 19:18:54 UTC 2014

Excerpts from Steven Dake's message of 2014-01-24 11:05:25 -0800:
> On 01/24/2014 11:47 AM, Clint Byrum wrote:
> > Excerpts from Tim Bell's message of 2014-01-24 10:32:26 -0800:
> >> We are reviewing options between MySQL and MariaDB. RHEL 7 beta seems to have MariaDB as the default MySQL-like DB.
> >>
> >> Can someone summarise the status of the OpenStack in terms of
> >>

> >> -        What MySQL-flavor is/are currently tested in the gate ?
> >>
> >> -        What is supported by the current code ?
> >>
> >> -        Is there an agreed long term direction and if there are transitions, when will these occur ?
> >>
> > Tim it is worth noting that, for the most part, MariaDB 5.5 is going to
> > work 99.9% the same as MySQL 5.5, which is, I believe, what is tested
> > in the gate (since it is just what you get when apt-get installing
> > mysql-server on Ubuntu). I have only heard of a few optimizer quirks in
> > MariaDB that make it any different to vanilla MySQL.
> >
> > I do think that while we've been able to make some assumptions about
> > this compatibility for a while, with MariaDB becoming a proper fork and
> > not just a derivative, we will likely need to start testing both.
> My understanding is later versions of MySQL change the on disk format
> and possibly some other compatibility functionality, making testing both
> a necessity since Red Hat ships Maria and Ubuntu plans to stick with MySQL.

On-disk format changes are completely opaque to OpenStack testing. That
comes with MariaDB 10 as they basically have decided to stop trying to
keep up with the Oracle firehose of engineering changes and go their own
way. We would only care about that change if we wanted to have drop-in
replacement capability to test between the two.

For OpenStack, only SQL or protocol incompatibilities would matter. IMO
MariaDB would be wise to be very careful not to ever break this. That
is one of the things that really trashed early adoption of Drizzle IMO,
because you had to change your app to speak Drizzle-SQL instead of just
speaking the same old (broken) MySQL.

Us using the more strict traditional dialect will hopefully save us from
the fate of having to adapt to different forks of MySQL though.