[openstack-dev] [Nova] Why Nova should fail to boot if there are only one private network and one public network ?

Day, Phil philip.day at hp.com
Fri Jan 24 13:13:19 UTC 2014

HI Sylvain,

The change only makes the user have to supply a network ID if there is more than one private network available (and the issue there is that otherwise the assignment order in the Guest is random, which normally leads to all sorts of routing problems).

I'm running a standard Devstack with Neuron (built from trunk a couple of days ago), can see both a private and public network, and can boot VMs without having to supply any network info:

$ neutron net-list
+--------------------------------------+---------+--------------------------------------------------+
| id                                   | name    | subnets                                          |
+--------------------------------------+---------+--------------------------------------------------+
| 16f659a8-6953-4ead-bba5-abf8081529a5 | public  | a94c6a9d-bebe-461b-b056-fed281063bc0             |
| 335113bf-f92f-4249-8341-45cdc9d781bf | private | 51b97cde-d06a-4265-95aa-d9165b7becd0 10.0.0.0/24 |
+--------------------------------------+---------+--------------------------------------------------+

$ nova boot --image  cirros-0.3.1-x86_64-uec --flavor m1.tiny phil
+--------------------------------------+----------------------------------------------------------------+
| Property                             | Value                                                          |
+--------------------------------------+----------------------------------------------------------------+
| OS-DCF:diskConfig                    | MANUAL                                                         |
| OS-EXT-AZ:availability_zone          | nova                                                           |
| OS-EXT-STS:power_state               | 0                                                              |
| OS-EXT-STS:task_state                | scheduling                                                     |
| OS-EXT-STS:vm_state                  | building                                                       |
| OS-SRV-USG:launched_at               | -                                                              |
| OS-SRV-USG:terminated_at             | -                                                              |
| accessIPv4                           |                                                                |
| accessIPv6                           |                                                                |
| adminPass                            | DaX2mcPnEK9U                                                   |
| config_drive                         |                                                                |
| created                              | 2014-01-24T13:11:30Z                                           |
| flavor                               | m1.tiny (1)                                                    |
| hostId                               |                                                                |
| id                                   | 34210c19-7a4f-4438-b376-6e65722b4bd6                           |
| image                                | cirros-0.3.1-x86_64-uec (8ee8f7af-1327-4e28-a0bd-1701e04a6ba7) |
| key_name                             | -                                                              |
| metadata                             | {}                                                             |
| name                                 | phil                                                           |
| os-extended-volumes:volumes_attached | []                                                             |
| progress                             | 0                                                              |
| security_groups                      | default                                                        |
| status                               | BUILD                                                          |
| tenant_id                            | cc6258c6a4f34bd1b79e90f41bec4726                               |
| updated                              | 2014-01-24T13:11:30Z                                           |
| user_id                              | 3a497f5e004145d494f80c0c9a81567c                               |

$ nova list
| ID                                   | Name  | Status | Task State | Power State | Networks         |
| 34210c19-7a4f-4438-b376-6e65722b4bd6 | phil  | ACTIVE | -          | Running     | private=10.0.0.5 |