[openstack-dev] [heat] question on proposed software config

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Fri Jan 24 09:34:39 UTC 2014

Excerpts from Prasad Vellanki's message of 2014-01-24 00:21:06 -0800:
> I have a question on agent as part of cfninit that communicates with heat
> about config done state indication or config tool agent such as chef or
> puppet communicating with chef server.
>
> Since the VM resides on the data network, how does it reach the heat server
> that is on openstack management network. Is there a translation at network
> node similar to metadata server for 169 network for heat server access or
> chef server ? Of course I am assuming that chef server resides on
> management network too.

In the chef examples talked about, you are either running chef solo,
or deploying your own chef server. Heat is adding these things mostly to
simplify template writing for the common cases. One can specify any tool
as long as there is a script to interpret the config items into inputs,
and produce outputs.

For the heat service that instances talk to, Heat has a configuration
setting for the engine which controls the endpoint it passes in to
machines to inform them where to phone-home.

It does not use the EC2 metadata on 169.254.169.254, but it would be
interesting to just extend the EC2 metadata service to support Heat
things so that we could use this endpoint inside private networks.

Without that, as it works today, instances have to have a route to
whatever endpoint is configured.