[openstack-dev] [Nova] Dropping XML support in the v3 compute API

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Thu Jan 23 21:58:42 UTC 2014

Greetings,

Recently Sean Dague started some threads [1][2] about the future of XML
support in Nova's compute API.  Specifically, he proposed [3] that we
drop XML support in the next major version of the API (v3).  I wanted to
follow up on this to make the outcome clear.

I feel that we should move forward with this proposal and drop XML
support from the v3 compute API.  The ongoing cost in terms of
development, maintenance, documentation, and verification has been quite
high.  After talking to a number of people about this, I do not feel
that keeping it provides enough value to justify the cost.

Even though we may be dropping it now, I will not say that we will
*never* support it in the future.  If there is enough interest (and work
behind it) in the future, we could revisit a new implementation that is
easier to support long term.  For now, we will stick to what we know
works, and that is the JSON API.

Thanks,

[1]
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2014-January/024134.html