[openstack-dev] [neutron] Neutron should disallow /32 CIDR

Paul Ward wpward at us.ibm.com
Thu Jan 23 21:11:01 UTC 2014

FWIW, Horizon does prevent the /32 subnet with this message right in the
UI: "The subnet in the Network Address is too small (/32)."  However, it
does NOT prevent a /31 or smaller prefix.

Given your statement about routers potentially using a /30 network, I think
we should leave the restriction at /30 rather than /29.  I'm assuming your
statement that some routers use /30 subnets to connect to each other could
potentially apply to neutron-created routers.

My reasoning behind checking the number of IP addresses in the subnet
rather than the actual CIDR prefix length is that I want the code to be IP
version agnostic.  If we're talking IPv6, then /30 isn't going to be
relevant.  I'm not overly familiar with IPv6, but is it safe to say it has
the same restriction that there must be more than 2 IPs available as the
highest IP is the broadcast?  Thinking more about this, I think this would
be a better check (which still covers both IPv4 and IPv6):

if len(list(netaddr.IPNetwork(new_subnet_cidr))) < 3:
    <raise exception>

So where I think we're at and need to go:
	- Concurrence on whether this change is made at all.  I'm of the
opinion that if a subnet is truly and
	   completely unusable, we should prevent it in neutron rather than
rely on horizon since products
	   built on openstack probably don't use horizon.  If agreed, proceed
to next items.
	- Change current fix to allow /(N-2) prefixes
	- Potential horizon changes, in a separate changeset
		- Change to fail on /(N-1) rather than only /(N)
		- More descriptive failure message... though I kinda think the
current one is sufficient.