[openstack-dev] [TripleO] our update story: can people live with it?

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Wed Jan 22 20:36:18 UTC 2014

Excerpts from Fox, Kevin M's message of 2014-01-22 12:19:56 -0800:
> I think most of the time taken to reboot is spent in bringing down/up the services though, so I'm not sure what it really buys you if you do it all. It may let you skip the crazy long bootup time on "enterprise" hardware, but that could be worked around with kexec on the full reboot method too.

If we could get kexec reliable.. but I have no evidence that it is
anything but a complete flake.

What it saves you is losing running processes that you don't end up
killing, which is expensive on many types of services.. Nova Compute
being a notable example.