[openstack-dev] [TripleO] our update story: can people live with it?

Keith Basil kbasil at redhat.com
Wed Jan 22 20:27:50 UTC 2014

On Jan 22, 2014, at 1:53 PM, Jay Pipes wrote:

> On Wed, 2014-01-22 at 13:15 -0500, Dan Prince wrote:

I don't understand the aversion to using existing, well-known tools to handle this?

A hybrid model (blending 2 and 3, above) here I think would work best where
TripleO lays down a baseline image and the cloud operator would employ an well-known
and support configuration tool for any small diffs.

The operator would then be empowered to make the call for any major upgrades that
would adversely impact the infrastructure (and ultimately the users/apps).  He/She
could say, this is a major release, let's deploy the image.

Something logically like this, seems reasonable:

	if (system_change > 10%) {
	  use TripleO;
	  } else {
	  use Existing_Config_Management;
	}

It seems disruptive to force compute (or other) nodes to reboot on trivial updates.

If we are to get further enterprise adoption of OpenStack, this seems like a huge
blocker.  This will be a very hard sell to get traditional IT folk to buy into
this approach:

	"Wait, *every* time I have to make a system change, I need to reboot my
	 entire cloud?"

Elastic cloud concepts are already trying enough for the enterprise.

	-k