[openstack-dev] a "common" client library

Renat Akhmerov rakhmerov at mirantis.com
Tue Jan 21 17:09:08 UTC 2014

On 18 Jan 2014, at 07:48, Sean Dague <sean at dague.net> wrote:

> I also think auto generated clients have a lot of challenges in the same
> way that full javascript pages in browsers have. If you screw up in a
> subtle way you can just completely disable your clients from connecting
> to your server entirely (or block them from using bits of the lesser
> used function path because a minor bit of schema fat fingered). So
> without a ton of additional verification on that path, I wouldn't want
> that anywhere near openstack. Especially with vendor extensions, which
> mean that enabling a network driver might break all your clients.

Yes, this makes tons of sense. The more I think about it the more I come to a conclusion that it will never work well enough (more organizationally though than technically). Additionally, there can be not 1 to 1 match between API methods and python code. For example, we’ve been considering some improvements in Mistral client library so that we can make in some cases a series of calls without actually hitting the server therefore implementing a masking behavior (in some scenarios it seems to make a lot of sense). Typically I’m talking about building a complex object from small pieces. We haven’t made a decision though. We’ll be discussing it with the community.

Renat Akhmerov
@ Mirantis Inc.