[openstack-dev] [TripleO] [Tuskar] Terminology Revival #1 - Roles

Dougal Matthews dougal at redhat.com
Tue Jan 21 14:40:48 UTC 2014

On 21/01/14 14:19, Jaromir Coufal wrote:
> when I was getting feedback on wireframes and we talked about Roles,
> there were various objections and not much suggestions. I would love to
> call for action and think a bit about the term for concept currently
> known as Role (= Resource Category).

This indeed a bit confusing, I think Role has mostly been rejected and
I've seen Resource Category used the most since.

> So far suggested terms:
> * Role *
>    - short name - plus points
>    - quite overloaded term (user role, etc)

-1 for Role, I don't think short is a good enough reason.

> * Resource Category *
>    - pretty long (devs already shorten it - confusing)
>    - Heat specific term

+0, I'ge gotten used to this, its quite long, but its not that bad.

> * Resource Class *
>    - older term

-0, this strikes me as confusing as what we are defining now is somewhat
different to what a Resource Class was. However, if we can clear it up
this name is otherwise fine.

> Are there any other suggestions (ideally something short and accurate)?

I'll throw out a couple to start ideas -

- Resource Role (people seem to like Resource and role! ;-) )
- Resource Group
- Role Type