[openstack-dev] [Fuel-dev] [OSTF][Ceilometer] ceilometer meters and samples delete

Bogdan Dobrelya bdobrelia at mirantis.com
Mon Jan 20 12:48:35 UTC 2014

On 01/20/2014 01:29 PM, Dmitry Iakunchikov wrote:
> David,
>
> You're completely right,
>
> The main problem is that ceilometer has possibility to create samples,
> but not to delete. Because of that there is no possibility to remove
> OSTF created data.
1) What is current DB backend for Ceilometer? Can we use the separate
database for OSTF and just drop while doing teardown?
2) IIRC from Ceilometer PoC performance results, the main DB with Galera
must never be used as backend for ceilometer because of performance issues?

> [...]
>         is not removed.
>
>     Is this basically correct?
>
>     If so, I’d ask if Ceilometer removes data from VM’s or nodes that
>     have been deleted from OpenStack during normal operation or if the
>     data is retained in the run-time scenarios as well?  If so, wouldn’t
>     this be a general requirement to remove data about entities that no
>     longer exist in the environment vs. an issue specific to Health
>     Check (OSTF)?
>
>     As an operator, I’d expect that my data is retained even for items
>     that have been removed, but I agree that there should be a way for
>     an operator to make a decision to remove stale data – either based
>     on time or as a manually executed operation.  Removing data
>     automatically right away could lead to a loss of historical
>     information that could be used for longer term analysis and billing.
>
>     Or am I misinterpreting the situation and Ceilometer already allows
>     for deletion of data – and the question is just whether we should
>     remove the data collected during the test?  If that is the only
>     question, then yes – we should remove the data after the test is done.
>
>     Thanks,
>
>     -Dave Easter
>
>     From: Dmitry Iakunchikov <diakunchikov at mirantis.com
>     <mailto:diakunchikov at mirantis.com>>
>     Date: Friday, January 17, 2014 at 5:10 AM
>     To: Nadya Privalova <nprivalova at mirantis.com
>     <mailto:nprivalova at mirantis.com>>, "OpenStack Development Mailing
>     List (not for usage questions)" <openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org
>     <mailto:openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org>>, Dmitry Iakunchikov
>     <diakunchikov at mirantis.com <mailto:diakunchikov at mirantis.com>>, Mike
>     Scherbakov <mscherbakov at mirantis.com
>     <mailto:mscherbakov at mirantis.com>>, Vladimir Kuklin
>     <vkuklin at mirantis.com <mailto:vkuklin at mirantis.com>>,
>     "fuel-dev at lists.launchpad.net <mailto:fuel-dev at lists.launchpad.net>"
>     <fuel-dev at lists.launchpad.net <mailto:fuel-dev at lists.launchpad.net>>
>     Subject: Re: [Fuel-dev] [openstack-dev] [OSTF][Ceilometer]
>     ceilometer meters and samples delete
>
>     For now in Fuel we keep samples forever
>
>     In case if we will use time_to_live, how long we should keep this data?
>

>     2014/1/17 Julien Danjou <julien at danjou.info <mailto:julien at danjou.info>>
>
>         On Fri, Jan 17 2014, Nadya Privalova wrote:
>
>         > I would ask in another way.
>         > Ceilometer has a mechanism to add a sample through POST. So it looks not
>         > consistent not to allow user to delete a sample.
>         > IMHO, insertion and deletion through REST looks a little bit hacky: user
>         > always has an ability to fake data collected from OpenStack services. But
>         > maybe I don't see any valuable usecases.
>         > Anyway, it seems reasonable to have both add_sample and delete_sample in
>         > API or not to have neither.
>
>         From the user PoV, that totally makes sense, agreed.
>
>         --
>         Julien Danjou
>         # Free Software hacker # independent consultant

Bogdan Dobrelya,
Researcher TechLead, Mirantis, Inc.
+38 (066) 051 07 53
Skype bogdando_at_yahoo.com