[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Relationship between Neutron LBaaS and Libra

Andrew Hutchings andrew at linuxjedi.co.uk
Mon Jan 20 07:19:15 UTC 2014

On 18 Jan 2014, at 19:02, Jay Pipes <jaypipes at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 2014-01-18 at 09:06 +0000, Andrew Hutchings wrote:
>>
>> I’m not sure what is public and what isn’t so I won’t name names.
>> They are currently talking to us about the best ways of working with
>> us.  Both companies want to use Libra in different and interesting
>> ways.  They are not currently deploying it but are both playing with
>> it.  It is early days, they both approached us just before the
>> Christmas break.
>
> Did these companies say they had looked at Neutron LBaaS and found its
> design or implementation lacking in some way?

I am not party to the conversations since I handed off my roll before the conversations really got going.  So, I can’t answer unfortunately.

>> We know that working with the wider community with Libra has not been
>> our strong point.  It is something I want the team to rectify and they
>> are showing signs of making that happen.  People that are interested
>> in Libra are welcome to hang out in the #stackforge-libra IRC channel
>> to talk to us.
>
> Cutting to the chase... have there been any discussions about the
> long-term direction of Libra and Neutron LBaaS. I see little point
> having two OpenStack endpoints that implement the same basic load
> balancing functionality.
>
> Is the main problem in aligning Libra and Neutron the fact that Libra is
> a wholly-separate endpoint/project and Neutron LBaaS is part of the
> Neutron project?

There are at least 3 different ways I know of that the two can be integrated at various levels based on an investigation into this a year ago.  I am not aware of talks starting yet between the Libra and Neutron teams but I would hope both sides are keen to make this happen.  Both have a lot to give to make software load balancing a really good thing.