[openstack-dev] a "common" client library

Doug Hellmann doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com
Sat Jan 18 14:07:28 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 11:03 PM, John Utz <John.Utz at wdc.com> wrote:

> Outlook Web MUA, forgive the top post. :-(
>
> While a single import line that brings all the good stuff in at one shot
> is very convenient for the creation of an application, it would muddy the
> security picture *substantially* for the exact type of developer\customer
> that you would be targeting with this sort of syntactic sugar.
>
> As Jesse alludes to below, the expanding tree of dependencies would be
> masked by the aggregation.
>
> So, most likely, they would be pulling in vast numbers of things that they
> don't require to get their simple app done (there's an idea! an eclipse
> plugin that helpfully points out all the things that you are *not* using
> and offers to redo your imports for you :-) ).

I'm not sure what "vast numbers" of things you mean. The point is to make
one thing to talk to an OpenStack cloud consistently, instead of a separate
library for every facet of the cloud. Surely building on a common code
base will have the opposite effect you suggest -- it should reduce the
number of dependencies, and make it easier to track security updates in
those dependencies.

Doug