[openstack-dev] a "common" client library

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Fri Jan 17 15:26:29 UTC 2014

>> Keeping them separate is awesome for *us* but really, really, really
>> sucks for users trying to use the system.
>
> I agree. Keeping them separate trades user usability for developer
> usability, I think user usability is a better thing to strive for.

I don't understand how multiple independent code bases with a lot of
overlapping code/logic is a win for developers. The more we can move to
single shared code the easier code comprehension and maintenance
becomes. From a software engineering perspective the amount of
duplicated code/logic in OpenStack is worrisome. Iterating towards
common code seems like a huge developer win as well as greatly enhancing
robustness in the process.

--
John