[openstack-dev] [Neturon] firewall_driver and ML2 and vif_security discussion

Nachi Ueno nachi at ntti3.com
Thu Jan 16 22:27:34 UTC 2014

Hi Bob, Kyle

I pushed (A) https://review.openstack.org/#/c/67281/.
so could you review it?

2014/1/16 Robert Kukura <rkukura at redhat.com>:
> On 01/16/2014 03:13 PM, Kyle Mestery wrote:
>>
>> On Jan 16, 2014, at 1:37 PM, Nachi Ueno <nachi at ntti3.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Amir

> I don't see the need for anything that complex, although it could
> certainly be done in any MD+agent that needed it.
>
> I personally feel statically configuring a firewall driver for an L2
> agent is sufficient right now, and all ports handled by that agent will
> use that firewall driver.
>
> Clearly, different kinds of L2 agents that coexist within a deployment
> may use different firewall drivers. For example, linuxbridge-agent might
> use iptables-firewall-driver, openvswitch-agent might use
> ovs-firewall-driver, and hyperv-agent might use something else.
>
> I can also imagine cases where different instances of the same kind of
> L2 agent on different nodes might use different firewall drivers. Just
> as a hypothetical example, lets say that the ovs-firewall-driver
> requires new OVS features (maybe connection tracking). A deployment
> might have this new OVS feature available on some if its nodes, but not
> on others. It could be useful to configure openvswitch-agent on the
> nodes with the new OVS version to use ovs-firewall-driver, and configure
> openvswitch-agent on the nodes without the new OVS version to use
> iptables-firewall-driver. That kind of flexibility seems best supported
> by simply configuring the firewall driver in /ovs_neutron_plugin.ini on
> each node, which is what we currently do.
>

>>> Let's say we have OpenFlowBasedFirewallDriver and
>>> IptablesBasedFirewallDriver in future.
>>> I believe there is no usecase to let user to select such
>>> implementation detail by host.
>
> I suggest a hypothetical use case above. Not sure how important it is,
> but I'm hesitant to rule it out without good reason.

Our community resource is limited, so we should focus on some usecase and
functionalities.
If there is no strong supporter for this usecase, we shouldn't do it.
We should take simplest implementation for our focused usecase.

>>> so it is enough if we have a config security_group_mode=(openflow or
>>> iptables) in OVS MD configuration, then update vif_security based on
>>> this value.
>
> This is certainly one way the MD+agent combination could do it. It would
> require some RPC to transmit the choice of driver or mode to the agent.
> But I really don't think the MD and server have any business worrying
> about which firewall driver class runs in the L2 agent. Theoretically,
> the agent could be written in java;-). And don't forget that users may
> want to plug in a custom firewall driver class instead.
>
> I think these are the options, in my descending or of current preference:
>
> 1) Configure firewall_driver only in the agent and pass vif_security
> from the agent to the server. Each L2 agent gets the vif_security value
> from its configured driver and includes it in the agents_db RPC data.
> The MD copies the vif_security value from the agents_db to the port
> dictionary.
>
> 2) Configure firewall_driver only in the agent but the hardwire
> vif_security value for each MD. This is a reasonable short term solution
> until we actually have multiple firewall drivers that can work with
> single MD+agent.
>
> 3) Configure firewall_driver only in the agent and configure the
> vif_security value for each MD in the server. This is a slight
> improvement on #2 but doesn't handle the use case above. It seems more
> complicated and error prone for the user than #1.
>
> 4) Configure the firewall_driver or security_group_mode for each MD in
> the server. This would mean some new RPC is needed to for the agent to
> fetch the fthis from the server at startup. This could be problematic if
> the server isn't running when the L2 agent starts.

Let's discuss more when you could have openflow based security group
implementation.

This is my thought for general architecture.
- We should be able to manage such agent network behavior via Agent
Resource REST API in the server.
- The server should control agents,
- Agents should have only rpc connection information.

so I'm +1 for option4. Agent can't work without server anyway, and he
can wait until it will be connected with servers.