[openstack-dev] [nova] how is resource tracking supposed to work for live migration and evacuation?

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Thu Jan 16 21:12:32 UTC 2014

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out how resource tracking is intended to work for
live migration and evacuation.

For a while I thought that maybe we were relying on the call to
ComputeManager._instance_update() in
ComputeManager.post_live_migration_at_destination().  However, in
ResourceTracker.update_usage() we see that on a live migration the
instance that has just migrated over isn't listed in
self.tracked_instances and so we don't actually update its usage.

As far as I can see, the current code will just wait for the audit to
run at some unknown time in the future and call
update_available_resource(), which will add the newly-migrated instance
to self.tracked_instances and update the resource usage.

 From my poking around so far the same thing holds true for evacuation
as well.

In either case, just waiting for the audit seems somewhat haphazard.

Would it make sense to do something like
ResourceTracker.instance_claim() during the migration/evacuate and
properly track the resources rather than wait for the audit?

Chris