[openstack-dev] [OpenStack-Dev] Cherry picking commit from oslo-incubator

Ben Nemec openstack at nemebean.com
Thu Jan 16 20:19:01 UTC 2014

On 2014-01-16 13:48, John Griffith wrote:
> Hey Everyone,
>
> A review came up today that cherry-picked a specific commit to OSLO
> Incubator, without updating the rest of the files in the module.  I
> rejected that patch, because my philosophy has been that when you
> update/pull from oslo-incubator it should be done as a full sync of
> the entire module, not a cherry pick of the bits and pieces that you
> may or may not be interested in.
>
> As it turns out I've received a bit of push back on this, so it seems
> maybe I'm being unreasonable, or that I'm mistaken in my understanding
> of the process here.  To me it seems like a complete and total waste
> to have an oslo-incubator and common libs if you're going to turn
> around and just cherry pick changes, but maybe I'm completely out of
> line.
>
> Thoughts??

I suppose there might be exceptions, but in general I'm with you.  For
one thing, if someone tries to pull out a specific change in the Oslo
code, there's no guarantee that code even works.  Depending on how the
sync was done it's possible the code they're syncing never passed the
Oslo unit tests in the form being synced, and since unit tests aren't
synced to the target projects it's conceivable that completely broken
code could get through Jenkins.

Obviously it's possible to do a successful partial sync, but for the
sake of reviewer sanity I'm -1 on partial syncs without a _very_ good
reason (like it's blocking the gate and there's some reason the full
module can't be synced).

-Ben