[openstack-dev] [Neturon] firewall_driver and ML2 and vif_security discussion

Nachi Ueno nachi at ntti3.com
Thu Jan 16 19:37:58 UTC 2014

Hi Amir

2014/1/16 Amir Sadoughi <amir.sadoughi at rackspace.com>:
> Hi all,
>
> I just want to make sure I understand the plan and its consequences. I’m on board with the YAGNI principle of hardwiring mechanism drivers to return their firewall_driver types for now.
>
> However, after (A), (B), and (C) are completed, to allow for Open vSwitch-based security groups (blueprint ovs-firewall-driver) is it correct to say: we’ll need to implement a method such that the ML2 mechanism driver is aware of its agents and each of the agents' configured firewall_driver? i.e. additional RPC communication?
>
> From yesterday’s meeting: <http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/networking_ml2/2014/networking_ml2.2014-01-15-16.00.log.html>
>
> 16:44:17 <rkukura> I've suggested that the L2 agent could get the vif_security info from its firewall_driver, and include this in its agents_db info
> 16:44:39 <rkukura> then the bound MD would return this as the vif_security for the port
> 16:45:47 <rkukura> existing agents_db RPC would send it from agent to server and store it in the agents_db table
>
> Does the above suggestion change with the plan as-is now? From Nachi’s response, it seemed like maybe we should support concurrent firewall_driver instances in a single agent. i.e. don’t statically configure firewall_driver in the agent, but let the MD choose the firewall_driver for the port based on what firewall_drivers the agent supports.

Let's say we have OpenFlowBasedFirewallDriver and
IptablesBasedFirewallDriver in future.
I believe there is no usecase to let user to select such
implementation detail by host.
so it is enough if we have a config security_group_mode=(openflow or
iptables) in OVS MD configuration, then update vif_security based on
this value.