[openstack-dev] [rally] Naming of a deployment

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 15:09:43 UTC 2014

On Thu, 2014-01-16 at 12:57 +0400, Oleg Gelbukh wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 2:21 AM, Jay Pipes <jaypipes at gmail.com> wrote:
>         On Wed, 2014-01-15 at 21:46 +0000, Hugh Saunders wrote:
>         > On 15 January 2014 21:14, Ilya Kharin <ikharin at mirantis.com>
>         wrote:
>         >
>         >         Hi, guys,
>         >
>         >         In Rally there is an entity that represents
>         installed instance
>         >         of OpenStack.
>         >         What you think about a proper name for the entity?
>         (a
>         >         Deployment, a Cluster, an Installation, an Instance
>         or
>         >         something else)
>         >
>         > I vote for Deployment.

> Doesn't it sound a bit weird to deploy a Deployment? Otherwise, it
> does not really matter how it is called as long as the naming is
> consistent.

Well, sure :) But it sounds equally weird to say "install an
installation". The point here is the noun, which I believe "deployment"
most accurately describes what the thing is. The other terms have
connotation issues:

* "cluster" -- is too generic, but also has connotations in HPC and
various other technologies (databases, MQs, etc).

* "installation" -- reminds me of a piece of performance art ;)

* "instance" -- too much cross-terminology with server instance in Nova
and Ironic

> I have another question. Shoud we think about separation of Deployment
> and Endpoint entities in API? Deployment is an object managed by
> deployment engine, while Endpoint can refer to existing installation
> which has nothing to do with deployment engine. It means that
> different sets of operations are applicable to those entities. What do
> you think?

Sure, I think that is a useful distinction.

Best,
-jay