[openstack-dev] [Ironic] Let's move to Alembic

Devananda van der Veen devananda.vdv at gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 03:59:06 UTC 2014

Hi all,

Some months back, there was discussion to move Ironic to use Alembic
instead of SqlAlchemy. At that time, I was much more interested in getting
the framework together than I was in restructuring our database migrations,
and what we had was sufficient to get us off the ground.

Now that the plumbing is coming together, and we're looking hopefully at
doing a release this cycle, I'd like to see if anyone wants to pick up the
torch and switch our db migrations to use alembic. Ideally, let's do this
between the I2 and I3 milestones.

I am aware of the work adding a transition-to-alembic to Oslo:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/59433/

I feel like we don't necessarily need to wait for that to land. There's a
lot less history in our migrations than in, say, Nova; we don't yet support
down-migrations anyway; and there aren't any prior releases of the project
which folks could upgrade from.

Thoughts?

-Deva