[openstack-dev] [TripleO] [Tuskar] Deployment Management section - Wireframes

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Wed Jan 15 19:01:22 UTC 2014

Excerpts from Walls, Jeffrey Joel (Cloud OS R&D)'s message of 2014-01-15 07:04:48 -0800:

We have quite a proliferation of services already:

http://docs.openstack.org/training-guides/content/figures/5/figures/image31.jpg

Realistically, the number of individual services on that diagram (I
rapidly counted 39.. I bet I'm off) are the maximum number of image
contents we should ever have in a given deployment. Well plus heat which
is two more. And maybe Trove.. and Designate.. Ok so lets say "50".

Of course, users might recombine every service with every other service
over the life-cycle of their deployment, but realistically, that might
lead to _100_ individual image definitions in service at one time while
new topologies are being rolled out.

I'm o-k with that kind of proliferation. It is measurable and
controllable. Also it is crazy. Realistically we're going to see maybe
10 definitions.. controllers.. computes.. blocks.. swifts.. and some
supporting things.

The positive trade there is that we don't have to wonder how a box has
changed since it was deployed. It is always running all of the software
we deployed to it, with the config we defined now, or it is in an
error state.