[openstack-dev] [oslo] dependency analysis for graduating more oslo libraries

Doug Hellmann doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com
Wed Jan 15 17:55:13 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 11:49 AM, Joshua Harlow <harlowja at yahoo-inc.com>wrote:

>  Very nice write up +1
>
>  A question, many modules are pulling in oslo.log as seen from the
> dependency graph which itself then pulls in oslo.config. Is the plan to
> just have all these modules use the regular python logging and have
> oslo.log be a plugin/formatter/adapter to python logging?

If we can set up oslo logging to maintain the context data that we add
now, then yes we could change the other libraries to just use python's
logging module directly. I think the work that's being done on using a
custom formatter instead of a logging adapter will let us do that.

>  Likely people that would use those libraries and that aren't tied to
> openstack want to provide/configure there own logging (which is normally
> done via python logging configuration files and such...)
>
>  A side question: what are all these libraries going to be named, seems
> like we need a lot of creative library names (not just prefix everything
> with oslo) :-)

I'm using the oslo prefix for now for convenience. We can come up with more
creative names for libraries that have no other oslo dependencies as we
create those releases.