[openstack-dev] [TripleO] [Tuskar] Deployment Management section - Wireframes

James Slagle james.slagle at gmail.com
Wed Jan 15 12:52:28 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 4:47 AM, Jaromir Coufal <jcoufal at redhat.com> wrote:
>> - For editing a role, does it make a new image with the changes to what
>> services are deployed each time it's saved?
>
> So, there are two things - one thing is provisioning image. We are not
> dealing with image builder at the moment. So the image already contains
> services which we should be able to discover (what OpenStack services are
> included there). And then you go to service tab and enable/disable which
> services are provided within a role + their configuration.

This does not seem quite right to me.  I don't think we want to be
enabling or disabling different services in images at deployment time.
That's one of the reasons that we have the element nature of
diskimage-builder, so that you can build an image with the software
components you want. Any service that you include in the image build
is automatically enabled. If you want that image with a service
disabled, you build a new image.

I think the implementation would be a little weird as well. How would
you disable a service in the image? You could mount and modify the
image before deploying, but that's quite a bit of added complexity of
downloading an image, modifying it, and saving it.

--
-- James Slagle