[openstack-dev] [nova] api schema validation pattern changes

Jonathan LaCour jonathan-lists at cleverdevil.org
Tue Jan 14 17:12:44 UTC 2014

Jay Pipes <jaypipes at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2014-01-14 at 11:45 +0800, Christopher Yeoh wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 10:59 AM, Jay Pipes <jaypipes at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>       We don't need API extensions and they make our Compute API
>>       laughably complex and cumbersome. We should ditch entirely the
>>       concept of API extensions in our next Compute API major
>>       release.
>>
>> I think it way too late in the cycle to make this sort of change for
>> the V3 API.
>
> Completely agreed. I never said anything about v3. Specifically, in the
> tl;dr section I said "in the next major API version" we should get rid
> of API extensions.

Jay, thank you so much for eloquently articulating my frustrations with API extensions in Nova. I wholeheartedly agree that this is the right path for v4, and I also think that any move to Pecan or validation framework should wait until this time, as well.

> If it wasn't clear, I was not proposing changing anything to do with the
> existing v3 API or any of the extensions. I am saying we should get rid
> of them for the next major version, which would be v4.
>
> BTW, I challenge you to find deployers that are clamouring for the
> ability to "selectively deploy" some parts of the API and not
> others...I'd be happy to have conversations with these people and figure
> out what the real use cases are and what they're really after -- because
> I can almost guarantee it's not yet more API extensions.

As a deployer, I again agree.

--
Jonathan LaCour
VP, Cloud