[openstack-dev] [Neutron][IPv6] Subnet mode - API extension or change to core API?

Mark McClain mmcclain at yahoo-inc.com
Mon Jan 13 22:29:52 UTC 2014

On Jan 13, 2014, at 12:24 PM, Collins, Sean <Sean_Collins2 at cable.comcast.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I posted a message to the mailing list[1] when I first began work on the
> subnet mode keyword, asking if anyone had a suggestion about if it
> should be an API extension or can be a change to the core API.

>> I don't know if adding the "dhcp_mode" attribute to Subnets should be
>> considered an API extension (and the code should be converted to an API
>> extension) or if we're simply specifying behavior that was originally undefined.

It should be part of the core API and has been planned that way for some time (This was agreed on when we first brought this up in Grizzly)  We need to ensure that the new mode attribute provides the correct backwards compatible behavior with the enable_dhcp boolean.  Ideally in the database model, should only store the new value, but the API should accept the enable_dhcp boolean until we fully deprecate the API.

mark