[openstack-dev] [infra] javascript templating library choice for status pages

Michael Krotscheck krotscheck at gmail.com
Mon Jan 13 20:06:16 UTC 2014

On 01/13/2014 05:05 AM, Sean Dague wrote:
> Honestly, I've not done enough large scale js projects to know whether
> we'd consider status.js to be big or not. I just know it's definitely
> getting too big for += all the html together and doing document.writes.
Yes indeed.
> I guess the real question I had is is there an incremental path
> towards any of the other frameworks? I can see how to incrementally
> bring in templates, but again my personal lack of experience on these
> others means I don't know.
Short answer: Yes, and the incremental path will be more/less difficult
depending on which application framework you want to move to. [/captain
obvious]

Long answer: Pretty much all the template frameworks out there use
{{mustache-style}} syntax. Some application frameworks use handlebars
directly (ember), for some it's pluggable (knockout), others have their
own framework with similar markup (angular). From what I saw of
status.js, it's really not complicated enough to preclude a refactor to
any of the above.

Michael
Also, what Monty said.