[openstack-dev] [infra] javascript templating library choice for status pages

Sergey Lukjanov slukjanov at mirantis.com
Mon Jan 13 15:01:05 UTC 2014

Personally, I think that it's a great step now to move this code to the
templates. As for the huge frameworks - I prefer something like Angular.JS
or Knockout.JS.

Currently, the status.js file isn't so bug to rewrite it as a real life web
app and so, we could just add templates to make it much more readable and
improvable.

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 5:05 PM, Sean Dague <sean at dague.net> wrote:

> On 01/12/2014 09:56 PM, Michael Krotscheck wrote:
>
>> If all you're looking for is a javascript-based in-browser templating
>> system, then handlebars is a fine choice. I'm not certain on how complex
>> status.html/status.js is, however if you expect it to grow to something
>> more like an application then perhaps looking at angular as a full
>> application framework might help you avoid both this growing pain and
>> future ones (alternatives: Ember, backbone, etc).
>>

> Honestly, I've not done enough large scale js projects to know whether
> we'd consider status.js to be big or not. I just know it's definitely
> getting too big for += all the html together and doing document.writes.
>
> I guess the real question I had is is there an incremental path towards
> any of the other frameworks? I can see how to incrementally bring in
> templates, but again my personal lack of experience on these others means I
> don't know.
>

>  Quick warning though, a lot of the javascript community out there uses
>> tooling that is built on top of Node.js, for which current official
>> packages for Centos/Ubuntu don't exist, and therefore infra won't
>> support it for openstack. Storyboard is able to get around this because
>> it's not actually part of openstack proper, but you might be forced to
>> manage your code manually. That's not a deal breaker in my opinion -
>> it's just more tedious (though I think it might be less tedious than
>> what you're doing right now).
>>

> I'd ideally like to be able to function without node, mostly because it's
> another development environment to have to manager. But I realize that's
> pushing against the current at this point. So I agree, not a deal breaker.
>

>         -Sean
>
> --
> Sean Dague
> Samsung Research America