[openstack-dev] [nova] [rfc] drop XML from v3 API entirely

Greg Hill greg.hill at RACKSPACE.COM
Mon Jan 13 14:55:57 UTC 2014

I'm not really an active nova contributor as of yet, but I'll +1 this if nova's XML support is anything like what I see in trove (which I believe just cloned how nova did it in the first place).  XML without a schema is terrible for a serialization format.  In my experience, the only people who actually use XML really want SOAP or XMLRPC (mostly .net and Java developers), which both give mechanisms for defining the schema of the request/response so data types like arrays and dates and booleans are sane to work with.  Doing XML in a generic fashion never adequately deals with those problems and is then rarely, if ever, actually used.

Greg