[openstack-dev] [OpenStack-Dev] IDE extensions in .gitignore

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Mon Jan 13 12:38:33 UTC 2014

Robert Collins wrote:
>>> I read that as 'we don't test that our tarballs work'. No?
>>
>> We don't test that changes won't break our tarballs in some ways,
>> no. I suppose we could add new jobs to generate throwaway tarballs
>> and then re-run all other tests using source extracted from those in
>> addition to the source obtained from the VCS, but that's probably
>> duplicating a lot of the current tests we run. Could be worthwhile
>> to explore anyway.
>
> I'd be very keen to see *something* test that our tarballs work and
> meet some basic criteria (such as perhaps we want to guarantee a
> ChangeLog is actually in each tarball...)

FWIW:

As part of the milestone release process I run a script which verifies
that the tarball matches the git repository content (script displays the
diff for the human to check it's sane).

It used to catch a lot of errors (missing files in MANIFEST.in) but
since we use pbr there weren't any missing file anymore.

The publication scripts also check that the tarball is not corrupted
(tar ztvf) before uploading it.

Ref: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Release_Team/How_To_Release

We can certainly improve the tests but the tarballs are not completely
untested :)

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)