[openstack-dev] [infra] javascript templating library choice for status pages

Michael Krotscheck krotscheck at gmail.com
Mon Jan 13 02:56:54 UTC 2014

If all you're looking for is a javascript-based in-browser templating
system, then handlebars is a fine choice. I'm not certain on how complex
status.html/status.js is, however if you expect it to grow to something
more like an application then perhaps looking at angular as a full
application framework might help you avoid both this growing pain and
future ones (alternatives: Ember, backbone, etc).

Quick warning though, a lot of the javascript community out there uses
tooling that is built on top of Node.js, for which current official
packages for Centos/Ubuntu don't exist, and therefore infra won't support
it for openstack. Storyboard is able to get around this because it's not
actually part of openstack proper, but you might be forced to manage your
code manually. That's not a deal breaker in my opinion - it's just more
tedious (though I think it might be less tedious than what you're doing
right now).

Michael