[openstack-dev] [nova] [neutron] PCI pass-through network support

Irena Berezovsky irenab at mellanox.com
Sun Jan 12 21:12:04 UTC 2014

Hi John,
Thank you for taking an initiative and summing up the work that need to be done to provide PCI pass-through network support.
The only item I think is missing is the neutron support for PCI pass-through. Currently we have Mellanox Plugin that supports PCI pass-through assuming Mellanox Adapter card embedded switch technology. But in order to have fully integrated  PCI pass-through networking support for the use cases Robert listed on previous mail, the generic neutron PCI pass-through support is required. This can be enhanced with vendor specific task that may differ (Mellanox Embedded switch vs Cisco 802.1BR), but there is still common part of being PCI aware mechanism driver.
I have already started with definition for this part:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RfxfXBNB0mD_kH9SamwqPI8ZM-jg797ky_Fze7SakRc/edit#
I also plan to start coding soon.

Depends on how it goes, I can take also nova parts that integrate with neutron APIs from item 3.

Regards,
Irena