[openstack-dev] [Swift] Metadata Search API

Thomas, Lincoln (HP Storage R&D) Lincoln.Thomas at hp.com
Sat Jan 11 02:00:42 UTC 2014

Rebooting this thread now that I've reorg'd the Wiki page.

The proposed REST API spec for searching system and custom metadata in Swift, across accounts, containers, and objects, is now posted at:

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/MetadataSearchAPI

I've also made the first modification to the API since the Icehouse design summit where I introduced this project: adding "metadata:" per conversation with Paula Ta-Shma's team at IBM Storage Research.

The home page for this project remains at:

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/MetadataSearch

See that home page for further details, and the history of this email thread. Feel free to edit the Wiki as described on the home page!

As Brian Cline (SoftLayer) said so eloquently in this thread:

> Today, about the best one can do is iterate through everything and inspect metadata
> along the way - obviously an infinitely expensive (and hilariously insane)
> operation.

> If there are any others who have implemented search in Swift, please speak up and
> help shape this. We both want to get community consensus on a standard search API,
> then get a pluggable reference implementation into Swift.

> This is all work-in-progress stuff, but we'd welcome any feedback, concerns,
> literal jumps for joy, etc. in this thread, both on the API and on a reference
> architecture.

Thanks in advance,
Lincoln Thomas (IRC lincolnt)
System/Software Engineer, HP Storage R&D
Portland, OR, USA,  +1 (503) 757-6274