[openstack-dev] [Glance][All] Pecan migration strategies

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Fri Jan 10 12:51:24 UTC 2014

Greetings,

More discussions around the adoption of Pecan.

I'd like to know what is the feeling of other folks about migrating
existing APIs to Pecan as opposed to waiting for a new API version as
an excuse to migrate the API implementation to Pecan?

We discussed this in one of the sessions at the summit, I'd like to
get a final consensus on what the desired migration path is for the
overall community.

IIRC, Cinder has a working version of the API with Pecan but there's
not a real motivation to release a new version of it that will use
the new implementation. Am I right?

Nova, instead, will start migrating some parts but not all of them and
it'll happen as part of the API v3. AFAIU.

Recently a new patch was proposed in glance[0] and it contains a base
implementation for the existing API v2. I love that patch and the fact
that Oleh Anufriiev is working on it. What worries me, is that the
patch re-implements an existing API and I don't think we should just
swap them.

Yes, we have tests (unit and functional) and that should be enough to
make sure the new implementation works as the old one - Should it?
Should it? - but...

This most likely has to be evaluated in a per-project basis. But:

    - What are the thoughts of other folks on this matter?

Cheers,
FF

[0] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/62911/

--