[openstack-dev] [Nova] Detect changes in object model

Wang, Shane shane.wang at intel.com
Fri Jan 10 03:01:07 UTC 2014

Hi Dan,

There is a discussion in https://review.openstack.org/#/c/58199/ talking about the change detection in objects.
If an object A contains another object or object list (called sub-object), any change happened in the sub-object can't be detected by obj_what_changed() in object A.

A generic method might be to change make_class_properties() to add it into _changed_fields() for object A, even though any properties in the sub-object are changed.
So save() in object A can get the correct obj_get_changes() before updating the db.

However, in save() in instance.py (line 450), we found a set of special _save_%s() would be called to update those objects always, no matter whether they are changed or not.
I am going to do the more generic way above. May I? What do you think on that?

Thanks.
--
Shane