[openstack-dev] [nova] [neutron] PCI pass-through network support

Ian Wells ijw.ubuntu at cack.org.uk
Thu Jan 9 21:53:47 UTC 2014

On 9 January 2014 22:50, Ian Wells <ijw.ubuntu at cack.org.uk> wrote:

> On 9 January 2014 20:19, Brian Schott <brian.schott at nimbisservices.com>wrote:
> On the flip side, vendor_id and product_id might not be sufficient.
>  Suppose I have two identical NICs, one for nova internal use and the
> second for guest tenants?  So, bus numbering may be required.
>

>> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation G71 [GeForce 7900
>> GTX] (rev a1)
>> 02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation G71 [GeForce 7900
>> GTX] (rev a1)
>>

> I totally concur on this - with network devices in particular the PCI path
> is important because you don't accidentally want to grab the Openstack
> control network device ;)

Redundant statement is redundant.  Sorry, yes, this has been a pet bugbear
of mine.  It applies equally to provider networks on the networking side of
thing, and, where Neutron is not your network device manager for a PCI
device, you may want several device groups bridged to different segments.
Network devices are one case of a category of device where there's
something about the device that you can't detect that means it's not
necessarily interchangeable with its peers.